Another GREEN Moment

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Time for another moment of being green... and it really ain't easy being green - but not always...
Sometimes it's painfully easy to be green AND save some green too!
So, I get my mortgage statement and, again, they've included an insert on being a little greener. And, again, many of the tips are great... like low-flow toilets (if they're the newer nicer versions), aerated shower and sink faucets, and tankless water heaters. Now many of these items have an up front cost but can pan out over time to really save some green... money that is. One fact they threw out there was that toilets eat up 28% of a home's water use. They also talk about the shower head change-out potentially saving a family of four $250 a year. Well, I'm a country girl now, so my water comes from a well, and many of you may be saying the same thing. But this doesn't mean that we shouldn't all at least evaluate our current situations and at least identify if the alternatives might be viable options. I mean, I want my water table to stay in good shape... without it, my well is just a deep hole in the ground!
Another tip I wanted to put here was my latest first-hand experiences in green cleaning. This was a very satisfying experiment! I wanted to see how my alternative cleaning agents would perform compared to the store bought stuff. I tore into cleaning my toilet with just vinegar... worked like a charm. Then I tore into my shower... a little tougher job. The vinegar got sprayed on the walls... it did a decent job. Just spritzing a little bleach took care of the mold and mildew. Now, the hard water spots on the other hand, were a little different... but I found the fix! I sprayed vinegar on the shower door (my big problem area), and then sprinkled baking soda on my scouring sponge... this did it!
And I saved quite a bit in cleaners not to mention the fact that I didn't have to feel bad about the types of cleaners I used or my or my family's exposure to the petroleum-based store-bought products!
It was a good day... one might even say it was a green day, and I ended up with more green in my wallet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Wanna Read!

  • The Way They Learn - Tobias
  • Teaching the Trivium - Bluedorn
  • The Well-Trained Mind
  • Get Wisdom! - Ruth Younts
  • Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • The Pursuit of Holiness - Jerry Bridges
  • Primal - Mark Batterson
  • Hipster Christianity - Brett McCracken
  • Gospel Powered Parenting - William P. Farley
  • Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow - RC Sproul
  • When People are Big and God is Small - Edward T. Welch
  • Chosen by God - RC Sproul
  • The Discipline of Grace - Jerry Bridges
  • Radical - David Platt

Reading it Now!

  • The New Read-Aloud Handbook - Trelease
  • Honey for a Child's Heart - Gladys Hunt
  • Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Bringing up Boys - Dr James Dobson

Past Reads

  • The Three R's - Ruth Beechick
  • Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling
  • What is a Healthy Church? - Mark Dever
  • What is a Healthy Church Member? - Thabiti M. Anyabwile
  • Feminine Appeal - Carolyn Mahaney
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart - Ted Tripp
  • Crazy Love - Francis Chan
  • When Life is Hard - James MacDonald
  • Food and Love - Dr. Gary Smalley
  • For Women Only - Shaunti Feldhahn
  • For Men Only - Jeff and Shaunti Feldhahn
  • The Gospel for Real Life - Jerry Bridges
  • Living the Cross Centered Life - CJ Mahaney
  • Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John and Stasi Eldredge
  • Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul - John Eldredge
  • Dare to Discipline - Dr. James Dobson
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution - Elizabeth Pantley
  • Parenting is Not for Cowards by Dr. James Dobson
  • The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
  • The Strong Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP