Have Kids That Don't Like Veggies? TRICK THEM!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I received a book awhile back... back when my toddler ate anything I put in front of her. At the time I thought, "My kid's a good eater. I may not need this." So I set the book aside and forgot about it... until my little angel-eater developed an opinion of food to rival the likes of the most angry food critic!
So, here I sit with that book... The Sneaky Chef by Missy Chase Lapine. This is a great book... no, really, I mean it's a GREAT book. A skim reading through it was my approach. The book provides recipes for the core purees that you use to hide veggies and fruits in your kids' foods. I keep page 96 marked at all times... that's the beginning of the purees section... She also provides specific food recipes that you can use the purees in, but I found that after my skim over her recipes, I could do my own "hiding" in my own recipes using her key tips.
This has taken so much pressure off of our meals. I no longer have to fret whether or not Grace eats her broccoli or peas... I still put veggies on her plate (I've heard the statistics that it takes an exposure of up to 20 times for a kid to eat a new food!). But if she doesn't eat the "real" veggie, I don't freak out... I know there's a couple of servings of veggies hidden in her: spaghetti, meatloaf, mac n cheese, cupcake!, you name it!! That's right, my little picky eater has heartily consumed such "nasty, disgusting" veggies as broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, collard greens, all kinds of legumes (beans), etc. He he he...
Seriously though, I'm glad to get our garden going again so that I can start sneaking my own veggies into her foods. Let the food battles begin! ...because I know I'll win... ;-)

6 comments:

ML April 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

That is so funny. I have the feeling we'll need to pick up this book once Lily gets a little older. Christina is a picky eater and I'm afraid Lily will be too. She's already getting her "what the heck is that" face when eating certain things.

Mobile App Development Delhi November 24, 2014 at 2:37 AM  

Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.

Water Park in Delhi NCR December 15, 2014 at 5:26 AM  

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

Picnic Locations in Delhi NCR December 31, 2014 at 3:43 AM  

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

GST Registration Delhi April 8, 2017 at 8:09 AM  

I like your approach on the topic. Your article is as interesting as your previous writings. Keep up the good work, thanks a lot.

GST Training July 17, 2017 at 6:27 AM  

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Wanna Read!

  • The Way They Learn - Tobias
  • Teaching the Trivium - Bluedorn
  • The Well-Trained Mind
  • Get Wisdom! - Ruth Younts
  • Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • The Pursuit of Holiness - Jerry Bridges
  • Primal - Mark Batterson
  • Hipster Christianity - Brett McCracken
  • Gospel Powered Parenting - William P. Farley
  • Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow - RC Sproul
  • When People are Big and God is Small - Edward T. Welch
  • Chosen by God - RC Sproul
  • The Discipline of Grace - Jerry Bridges
  • Radical - David Platt

Reading it Now!

  • The New Read-Aloud Handbook - Trelease
  • Honey for a Child's Heart - Gladys Hunt
  • Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Bringing up Boys - Dr James Dobson

Past Reads

  • The Three R's - Ruth Beechick
  • Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling
  • What is a Healthy Church? - Mark Dever
  • What is a Healthy Church Member? - Thabiti M. Anyabwile
  • Feminine Appeal - Carolyn Mahaney
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart - Ted Tripp
  • Crazy Love - Francis Chan
  • When Life is Hard - James MacDonald
  • Food and Love - Dr. Gary Smalley
  • For Women Only - Shaunti Feldhahn
  • For Men Only - Jeff and Shaunti Feldhahn
  • The Gospel for Real Life - Jerry Bridges
  • Living the Cross Centered Life - CJ Mahaney
  • Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John and Stasi Eldredge
  • Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul - John Eldredge
  • Dare to Discipline - Dr. James Dobson
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution - Elizabeth Pantley
  • Parenting is Not for Cowards by Dr. James Dobson
  • The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
  • The Strong Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP