I finally made my own laundry detergent and fabric softener!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010


From my previous post , I had posted recipes on how to make your own laundry detergent and fabric softener. Well, I finally made it here and tried it, and I have to say, it works GREAT! See the previous post for exact steps, but here was the gist of how I did it.

*I made a double batch and used a 5 gallon bucket with lid to store it. I plan to use my existing store-bought laundry detergent spout container as a refill bottle.

I ended up using a whole bar of ivory soap for the double batch (instead of 2/3). I grated it into my large pot. Then I took the pot and added the water as listed in the recipe and heated it until the soap disintegrated and melted down. Once there, I added the powders and stirred until dissolved on the stovetop. Once I was to this point, I then transferred the liquid mixture to the 5 gallon bucket to add the amounts of water to further mix in (again, all were doubled). Final outcome was a well dissolved liquid (soon to be more like a liquid-gel) that worked well with our hard water out here. My first load of laundry with it did quite well.

I also made up a single batch of the fabric softener and stored it in a well-rinsed old bleach bottle that was labeled with "Fabric Softener" and also had the recipe written ON the bottle to make it easier to fix up a batch later when I run out.

All in all, it was incredibly easy and for $0.72 to make a 64 load amount of detergent (mine was actually a double so it's more like $1.44 to make 128 loads), that is some SERIOUS savings!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  April 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

Yeah for you. I have contemplated doing this lately and just don't know if I can give up my Gain laundry detergent that I love so well.

Anonymous,  April 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM  

I was a Gain junkie but I am a powder laundry girl. I just can't seem to do the liquid stuff. Ivory soap is my stain remover. I just keep a bar in the laundry room and when I have a stained clothing item I use it. Wet the garment and scrub with the bar soap, throw it in the washer and it comes out super clean!

Places to visit in Gurgaon February 13, 2015 at 3:23 AM  

Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Wanna Read!

  • The Way They Learn - Tobias
  • Teaching the Trivium - Bluedorn
  • The Well-Trained Mind
  • Get Wisdom! - Ruth Younts
  • Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • The Pursuit of Holiness - Jerry Bridges
  • Primal - Mark Batterson
  • Hipster Christianity - Brett McCracken
  • Gospel Powered Parenting - William P. Farley
  • Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow - RC Sproul
  • When People are Big and God is Small - Edward T. Welch
  • Chosen by God - RC Sproul
  • The Discipline of Grace - Jerry Bridges
  • Radical - David Platt

Reading it Now!

  • The New Read-Aloud Handbook - Trelease
  • Honey for a Child's Heart - Gladys Hunt
  • Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Bringing up Boys - Dr James Dobson

Past Reads

  • The Three R's - Ruth Beechick
  • Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling
  • What is a Healthy Church? - Mark Dever
  • What is a Healthy Church Member? - Thabiti M. Anyabwile
  • Feminine Appeal - Carolyn Mahaney
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart - Ted Tripp
  • Crazy Love - Francis Chan
  • When Life is Hard - James MacDonald
  • Food and Love - Dr. Gary Smalley
  • For Women Only - Shaunti Feldhahn
  • For Men Only - Jeff and Shaunti Feldhahn
  • The Gospel for Real Life - Jerry Bridges
  • Living the Cross Centered Life - CJ Mahaney
  • Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John and Stasi Eldredge
  • Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul - John Eldredge
  • Dare to Discipline - Dr. James Dobson
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution - Elizabeth Pantley
  • Parenting is Not for Cowards by Dr. James Dobson
  • The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
  • The Strong Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP