Old-Fashioned Whole Wheat Oatmeal Flax Bread

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

picklewart.blogspot.com

I mentioned a home-made bread I was making on FB the other day and have had a few messages and emails asking for the recipe, so here goes... it originally came from a breadmaker recipe from back when I owned one of those evil things... I swear I think I gained a pound a week when I had one!

Old-Fashioned Whole Wheat Oatmeal Flax Bread

1 2/3 C warm water
1/4 C molasses (although I usually substitute: 1/4 C pancake syrup and 2 tsp maple extract)
*one of these days I'm gonna make it with the molasses though!!
2 Tb margarine or softened butter
4 C Whole Wheat Flour
2/3 C Oats
1/2 C Flax seed (you can skip this if you don't have it)
2 Tb dry milk (although you could use a whole milk or canned milk and just use a touch less water if you needed to I believe)
1 1/4 tsp salt (I usually skip this)
2 tsp yeast

I prefer to mix the yeast, syrup or molasses, and warm water first. Then add the other ingredients. I use my dough hook on my stand mixer to do the beastly act of kneading ;-), but if you knead by hand, I would recommend kneading a good 10 minutes to let the gluten set up.. making for a much better loaf of bread.

This is a large 2 lb loaf and will require an afternoon of rising, so be prepared to mix, form a loaf, set in a loaf pan, cover with a damp cloth, set in a warm spot, and WALK AWAY! For something like 2 or 3 hours... Then, when it's risen quite a bit, bake in a 350 degree oven for around 30 min.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  April 21, 2011 at 11:25 AM  

Pretty sure I am going to have to get myself a Kitchen Aid mixer. ;-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Wanna Read!

  • The Way They Learn - Tobias
  • Teaching the Trivium - Bluedorn
  • The Well-Trained Mind
  • Get Wisdom! - Ruth Younts
  • Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • The Pursuit of Holiness - Jerry Bridges
  • Primal - Mark Batterson
  • Hipster Christianity - Brett McCracken
  • Gospel Powered Parenting - William P. Farley
  • Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow - RC Sproul
  • When People are Big and God is Small - Edward T. Welch
  • Chosen by God - RC Sproul
  • The Discipline of Grace - Jerry Bridges
  • Radical - David Platt

Reading it Now!

  • The New Read-Aloud Handbook - Trelease
  • Honey for a Child's Heart - Gladys Hunt
  • Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Bringing up Boys - Dr James Dobson

Past Reads

  • The Three R's - Ruth Beechick
  • Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling
  • What is a Healthy Church? - Mark Dever
  • What is a Healthy Church Member? - Thabiti M. Anyabwile
  • Feminine Appeal - Carolyn Mahaney
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart - Ted Tripp
  • Crazy Love - Francis Chan
  • When Life is Hard - James MacDonald
  • Food and Love - Dr. Gary Smalley
  • For Women Only - Shaunti Feldhahn
  • For Men Only - Jeff and Shaunti Feldhahn
  • The Gospel for Real Life - Jerry Bridges
  • Living the Cross Centered Life - CJ Mahaney
  • Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John and Stasi Eldredge
  • Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul - John Eldredge
  • Dare to Discipline - Dr. James Dobson
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution - Elizabeth Pantley
  • Parenting is Not for Cowards by Dr. James Dobson
  • The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
  • The Strong Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP