Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Monday, September 20, 2010

picklewart.blogspot.com

I love to save. Yes, I do. I find much satisfaction in finding that incredible deal at a yard sale or flea market... that elusive 90% tag on a sale rack... or that make-it-yourself EASY recipe for cleaners. Myself and a few friends have been trying out various home-made cleaner recipes... some working well... others working not-so-well. Thus far, the home-made liquid laundry soap, fabric softener, stain spray, and various bathroom cleaners (concoctions of ammonia, vinegar, baking soda, and bleach [never mix vinegar & bleach!]) have all done very well.

So, now I'm ready to try my own home-made dishwasher detergent. A friend sent me hers because it was fogging up her dishes. I believe she too has hard water battles just as I do. I got hers to work OK if I used ONLY a tablespoon or LESS and also used vinegar as a rinse agent.... and I still experienced some "fog" on the dishes now and then. So, now I'm trying out another "recipe" for home-made dishwasher detergent. I'll give it a review after I've given this one a go.

Home-made Dishwasher Detergent

1 c Washing Soda (not Baking soda - sodium carbonate)
1 c Borax
6 pkts unsweetened Lemonade (like Koolaid) *citric acid

I ran the washing soda through my blender to really "powder"-it-up. Then I mixed all the ingredients up in a sealed container. I also through in one of those silicon packets (like found in purses & shoes) to help absorb moisture.
These mixes tend to clump, but it doesn't cause any issue other than having to break it up now & then.
Use 1 Tablespoon per load (no more).

Use vinegar as your rinse aid (instead of other store products)!

The vinegar helps to break up the hard water... the lemonade (citric acid) also helps to break up the hard water during the wash to help with a cleaner rinse.

4 comments:

Pam January 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

Michelle, I'm definitely going to try the vinegar as a rinse aid, at least. (I just read your later post on not being too happy with the homemade dw detergent.) Appreciate the info. I'm always ready to save a few dollars and the vinegar tip sounds good to me. Thanks!

Picnic Locations in Delhi NCR December 31, 2014 at 3:42 AM  

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

App Development Bangalore February 1, 2017 at 11:22 PM  

Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

GST Registration Delhi April 8, 2017 at 8:09 AM  

After looking at a few of the blog articles on your site, I seriously appreciate your way of writing it. I saved it as a favorite to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Wanna Read!

  • The Way They Learn - Tobias
  • Teaching the Trivium - Bluedorn
  • The Well-Trained Mind
  • Get Wisdom! - Ruth Younts
  • Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • The Pursuit of Holiness - Jerry Bridges
  • Primal - Mark Batterson
  • Hipster Christianity - Brett McCracken
  • Gospel Powered Parenting - William P. Farley
  • Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow - RC Sproul
  • When People are Big and God is Small - Edward T. Welch
  • Chosen by God - RC Sproul
  • The Discipline of Grace - Jerry Bridges
  • Radical - David Platt

Reading it Now!

  • The New Read-Aloud Handbook - Trelease
  • Honey for a Child's Heart - Gladys Hunt
  • Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Bringing up Boys - Dr James Dobson

Past Reads

  • The Three R's - Ruth Beechick
  • Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling
  • What is a Healthy Church? - Mark Dever
  • What is a Healthy Church Member? - Thabiti M. Anyabwile
  • Feminine Appeal - Carolyn Mahaney
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart - Ted Tripp
  • Crazy Love - Francis Chan
  • When Life is Hard - James MacDonald
  • Food and Love - Dr. Gary Smalley
  • For Women Only - Shaunti Feldhahn
  • For Men Only - Jeff and Shaunti Feldhahn
  • The Gospel for Real Life - Jerry Bridges
  • Living the Cross Centered Life - CJ Mahaney
  • Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John and Stasi Eldredge
  • Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul - John Eldredge
  • Dare to Discipline - Dr. James Dobson
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution - Elizabeth Pantley
  • Parenting is Not for Cowards by Dr. James Dobson
  • The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
  • The Strong Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP